In the midst of the growing season, you might not think of autumn and the timing of controlled burns. However, now is the perfect time to plan for your fall controlled burn project. With permitting taking up to 90 days, it’s a good idea to get a jump on the process.
Why a controlled burn?
- Control weedy tree and shrub saplings, some invasive plants, and clean up the site for ease of control later in the season.
- Stimulate the growth of native plants by getting sunlight to the soil, thus encouraging greater diversity of plants, insects, and animals.
- Kills ticks.
The Illinois Prescribed Fire Council recently completed a study finding that in Illinois, not enough natural areas are being burned and those that are should be burned more frequently. With proper management using controlled burns as one of the tools, our natural areas become richer and more vibrant.
At The Pizzo Group, safety is our top priority! We don’t cut corners when it comes to the welfare of people and property. Every crew member and supervisor is trained and certified.
- All Illinois burn sites must have an Illinois EPA Open Burn Permit. Let us handle your paperwork!
- Burn permits average 30 to 90 days for processing. NOW is the time to start the process.
- A map of the burn area must be submitted with the application. At The Pizzo Group, a site visit is a required element of any burn plan.
- The Pizzo Group is licensed and insured.
- All The Pizzo Group projects are supervised by a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager who carries out the actual burn in addition to managing the site’s Burn Plan.
Let’s plan your controlled burn today! Contact us:
President & Southern Territory Manager
General Manager – Western Territory
General Manager – Northern Territory